Prince Harry’s memoir will not be published until next year, it has now been claimed – as a source close to the Sussexes reportedly sought to dismiss speculation the Duke was pushing to have it released in November as planned.
The book, which has cast a long shadow over the Royal family for months, was originally scheduled for release in ‘late 2022’, possibly around Thanksgiving to cash in on the Christmas market.
But the Queen’s death on Thursday threw these plans into confusion, amid warnings going ahead with publication this year would be seen as disrespectful to the late monarch.
A source close to the Sussexes told The Telegraph that the memoir would not now come out as planned as Harry and Meghan respect a mourning period that is likely to last well beyond the official ten days.
Delaying the publication would allow Harry to update the book throughout, with additional chapters on his grandmother’s death.
Prince Harry’s book, which has cast a long shadow over the Royal family for months, was originally scheduled for release in ‘late 2022’, possibly around Thanksgiving to cash in on the Christmas market
Tom Bower, whose biography of Meghan Markle was released earlier this year, last night said in an interview with GB News that he had heard the Duke of Sussex was ‘insisting’ on the original date being honoured.
‘I am told tonight that Harry is insisting that his book is published in November,’ he said. ‘Apparently the publishers are not too certain, but he says if they don’t publish it will be a breach of contract. That’s what I’m told.
It’s extraordinary. But on the other hand it fits the bill, because Harry and Meghan’s finances depend entirely on the book and on Netflix.
‘And also, I think they are convinced they’re in the right and they want to get their own back.’
He said the book would be printed at Clays in Bungay, Suffolk, under conditions of great secrecy, with staff being checked on their way out for copies.
Bower added: ‘The book is a timebomb which Charles and William wanted to defuse. Harry did not think that he would be in the UK when the Queen died and the circumstances are different to how they all envisioned it.
That said I heard that it is being printed at Clays. It will take weeks to print and then weeks to distribute it globally.’
A source close to the duke disputed the accuracy of Bower’s account last night, although they did not comment specifically on the planned publication date.
Meanwhile, Penguin has previously announced that Harry will be donating proceeds from the book to charity.
Earlier this week, royal experts told MailOnline it would be a very bad look for Harry to publish anything controversial at this time.
Meanwhile, publishing sources have suggested that it may be pushed back to 2023 to allow Prince Harry time to write additional chapters on the passing of the Queen.
Phil Dampier suggested that despite Harry and William’s walkabout at Windsor earlier this week, the rift between the Sussexes and the rest of the Royal family is ‘as raw as ever’.
And fellow Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams said he never thought the book should have been written but for it to be published now, even with an additional chapter discussing the late Queen, would be ill-advised.
He said: ‘It is not a matter of a re-write, it’s a matter of a re-think. Were it to be published, if it had anything sensational it would be tasteless.
It is a matter for him how he wants to be perceived. With a new reign it is natural that his loyalty is to his father who is very fond of him.
‘What better way to show his loyalty than by postponing, even permanently, the memoir which should never have been linked to the Queen’s jubilee year.
Previously, sources have claimed that neither King Charles nor Prince William, or their lawyers and advisers, have been given the opportunity to preview any parts of the manuscript
Mr Fitzwilliams said the damage to Prince Harry’s reputation would naturally depend on what the book discusses, which is still a mystery.
‘But it would be inappropriate for him to publish anything that had any controversial content especially at this time,’ he said.
Mr Dampier said publishing the memoir would ruin any chance of a family reconciliation, adding: ‘If Harry makes things worse there is no way back for him. That would be a line crossed and Charles and William would find it hard to forgive him.’
Sources allege neither King Charles nor Prince William, or their lawyers and advisers, have been given the opportunity to preview any parts of the manuscript.
The family has also received no specific information about the expected release date of the book, which is being published by Penguin Random House.
Bower said the book would be printed at Clays in Bungay, Suffolk, under conditions of great secrecy
Penguin Random House has described the book as ‘a heartfelt memoir from one of the most fascinating and influential global figures of our time’.
The publisher’s website says: ‘Prince Harry will share, for the very first time, the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him.
‘Covering his lifetime in the public eye from childhood to the present day, including his dedication to service, the military duty that twice took him to the frontlines of Afghanistan, and the joy he has found in being a husband and father, Prince Harry will offer an honest and captivating personal portrait, one that shows readers that behind everything they think they know lies an inspiring, courageous, and uplifting human story.’
Prince Harry, who will be donating any proceeds to charity, said he hopes his story will ‘help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think’.
Penguin Random House has not yet released a statement on whether the explosive release will be delayed in light of Queen Elizabeth’s death.
MailOnline has contacted the publisher and the Duke’s lawyers for comment.